Two Trees partners with government and civic agencies to develop spaces for cultural and community resources.
Smack Mellon is a non-profit art organization whose mission is to nurture and support emerging, under-recognized mid-career and women artists in the creation and exhibition of new work. To that end, Smack Mellon presents five exhibitions annually and provides stipends, workspace, and equipment to emerging artists through its widely renowned Artist Studio Program.
Smack Mellon has been organizing exhibitions in DUMBO since 1995 and in 2005 moved to its current home at 92 Plymouth Street, previously the neighborhood’s boiler building.
Jane's Carousel is an historic carousel made by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company (PTC #61) in 1922 and restored by Jane Walentas and a team of artists. In September of 2011, Jane's Carousel was installed in Brooklyn Bridge Park, housed in a spectacular pavilion designed by Pritzker Prize winning French architect Jean Nouvel. Originally installed at Idora Park in Youngstown, Ohio, the carousel was purchased at auction in 1984 and brought to Brooklyn to be refurbished an included in David Walentas’ plan to revitalize Empire Fulton Ferry State Park. A gift from the Walentas family to the people of the City of New York, Jane’s Carousel is the first carousel to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Now known as the Stable Building, the two-story structure at 16 Main Street, was built by the Turner Construction Company in 1906. One of the first reinforced poured concrete buildings in New York City, the Stable Building was originally a stable for Robert Gair, the manufacturer that invented the cardboard box. In 2015, Two Trees renovated the building to house four white cube gallery spaces.
In 2011, ISSUE Project Room, a pioneering art and performance non-profit, was granted a 20-year rent-free lease for 110 Livingston’s 4,800 square foot ground floor theatre space. With 40-foot vaulted ceilings, the space boasts optimum acoustics for chamber ensembles. 110 Livingston Street was originally built in 1926 by the historic architecture firm McKim, Mead and White. The building served at this New York City Board of Education headquarters from 1940 to 2003, when Two Trees renovated this historic Beaux Arts-style Downtown Brooklyn landmark into a mixed-use facility with the assistance of Beyer Blinder Belle.
The YMCA of Brooklyn, now the YMCA of Greater New York, was founded in 1853, and in 1885 it dedicated its first purpose-built building just a half mile from where the Dodge branch is located today. The 40,000 square foot facility was built by Two Trees in 2005, as a part of a $100 million mixed-use development that includes 320 residential apartments, 20,000 square feet of retail space, and 540 below-grade parking spaces. The new facility features a double-height atrium and includes a full-size gymnasium, daycare facilities, aerobic studios, weight training facilities, community spaces, and a 6-lane, 25-yard swimming pool.
In 2012 Two Trees released a request for proposals for local community organizations to transform a 55,000 square foot upland parcel into a community park. The site, which had been used as an employee parking lot by Domino Sugar, had been a vacant since 2004 when the factory closed. By summer 2013, the community enjoyed beautiful greenspace, fresh produce and flowers, and the first bicycle pump track to be built in Brooklyn. In the spring of 2015, Two Trees relocated the greenspace, garden, and bike park to a new site along the waterfront. North Brooklyn’s Farm on Kent and the Velosolutions Brooklyn Bike Park offer the Williamsburg community access to the waterfront on the Domino Sugar Factory site for the first time in over a century.
In 2013 Two Trees completed the construction of the 35,000 square foot New York City Police Department Mounted Unit facility on the ground and mezzanine floors of the Mercedes House – a 900 unit residential building located in Clinton Park. Together with the City of New York, Two Trees designed a state of the art urban horse stable for the NYPD, which now houses 27 horses. Windows along the ground floor provide light and an opportunity for neighbors and passersby to see the horses as they are exercised around their interior corral.
50,000 square foot community cultural facility to be jointly occupied by the Brooklyn Academy of Music Cinemas, the Brooklyn Public Library and several local arts groups, including 651 Arts and MoCADA. The building is being designed by Enrique Norten and will be LEED certified.