Cultural Space Subsidy Program: FAQ
Eligibility is open to arts, education, and community focused groups. Professional artists with a strong exhibition history are also eligible to apply.
Organizations will be evaluated with focus placed on their level of community engagement and social impact. Preference will be given to 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations that concentrate on arts, education, or community advocacy and programming, as well as organizations that demonstrate clarity of vision and a history of successful programming in support of their mission, regardless of non-profit status. Professional artists with a strong exhibition history or community focused practice are also eligible.
The spaces available through the Two Trees Cultural Space Subsidy Program are commercial office and studio spaces located in DUMBO. Most have high ceilings and natural light. All spaces have access to freight elevators, communal conference rooms and high-speed internet. Spaces awarded range from 700 – 2,500 rsf.
Grantees must maintain an active professional practice (i.e. the space may not be used for storage or sublet to other groups/individuals).
- Use of highly toxic chemicals, welding, or high-powered electrical equipment is prohibited.
- Conducting illegal activities is grounds for immediate termination.
- Living in Two Trees commercial spaces is strictly prohibited.
- Leases granted will be for three (3) years. There is no renewal option, however, tenants may re-apply at the end of their term.
- Tenant to pay all applicable common charges and utilities.
- Tenant must obtain limited liability insurance for the duration of their lease.
The Two Trees Cultural Space Subsidy Program offers a reduced rate of $12/RSF per year.
Candidates must submit an application with support materials at https://twotreesny-cssp.submittable.com/submit
Applications are reviewed annually. Schedule for 2019 leases:
- Applications accepted April 15 - June 15, 2018
- Notification of award by October 1, 2018
- Leases start January 1, 2019
The existing lease terms of current tenants will be honored on a month-to-month basis until the program awardees are announced.
Existing tenants that apply but are not awarded a rent subsidy will be offered a market rate renewal on their space or on a different space, pending availability. Should these tenants choose to vacate, they will have 90 days from date of notification.
Cultural Space Subsidy tenants are encouraged to contribute to the local community – i.e. through a presentation of a public installation or workshop or event. Additionally, awardees will be required to submit an annual report outlining any programming progress updates, activities from the past year, details of their engagement with the local community, and plans for the forthcoming year.